• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 203 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Collapse view

Dating, Sex, & Relationships

Marriage and UK Immigration

Cross-cultural relationships with Chinese and other Asian nationalities.

Marriage and UK Immigration

Postby Willi42 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello,

My Chinese girlfriend and I want to get married soon and I need some advice please.

Would it be better for us to get married in China or back in the UK? We have known each other about two years and now the time is right. We want to live in the UK, so what's the easiest way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the UK now and she is in China at the moment but I visit at least five to six times a year and she is coming over to the UK in July.

Thank you.
Willi42

Re: Marriage and UK Immigration

Postby Dr. Greg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 pm

You have two related but separate issues here to deal with: marriage to a Chinese national and, then, subsequent immigration to the UK. I can help you with the first but not the second issue.

We have a fairly extensive chapter on Getting Married in China. It will be a relatively straightforward (albeit a bureaucratically annoying) matter whether you choose to get married in mainland China where the girl’s residency (hukou) is registered, or in Hong Kong. However, since your plans are to bring your new bride to the UK, this can complicate matters somewhat.

There was a time in the United States when the waiting period for fiancée visas was considerably shorter than for spousal visas. You need to check with an immigration attorney in England to determine the quickest, if not easiest, strategy for bringing your future wife over to the UK. You might be advised to marry in the UK or in China depending on the difference in visa processing times. Only an immigration attorney can advise you of that.

Best of luck.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

Return to Dating, Sex, & Relationships