• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 203 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Collapse view

Employment & Prof. Development

Transitioning from Student to Work Visa

Employment choices and professional development issues.

Transitioning from Student to Work Visa

Postby ankitredevil » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I have just joined this forum after being impressed about how informative it was. I would be glad if someone could clear up a doubt I have.

I am an Indian student currently studying in India with my parents based in London, UK. I have been in a relationship with my Chinese girlfriend for the past two years and she has now moved back to China. We plan holidays together and end up meeting each other in different countries, but I am now looking at settling down with her.

I have just graduated and am looking for either a work visa in China (I majored in computer engineering so I'm looking at something related to that) or I am willing to pursue a master's degree as long as I can work after it.

So, my question is: After I complete my degree in China, am I given some sort of a grace period to find work or am I given a work visa of some sort?

Thank you.
ankitredevil

Re: Transitioning from Student to Work Visa

Postby Dr. Greg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Sorry of the delay in my response. This has been a hectic month for me requiring two trips back to the States. I am just now catching my breath.

There is no automatic transitioning of a student visa to a work visa.

Let’s assume your residency permit, based on the X-visa, expires in September and your program ends in August. You would then have a month or so to live legally in China while looking for work.

Once your residency permit expires, if you don’t have a job by then, you will have to downgrade your X-visa to a tourist (L-) visa. That would then give you up to three more months to look for work.

The only caveat is that once you downgrade to a tourist visa, depending on your province and the social connections of your employer, you may have to return to India to reenter China on a work visa.

Best of luck.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

Return to Employment & Prof. Development