• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 203 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Collapse view

Comments, Feedback, & Suggestions

Linguistic Difficulties with Final Consonant Sounds

Comments, feedback, and suggestions for new topics.

Linguistic Difficulties with Final Consonant Sounds

Postby dadczak » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am

Does anyone have any ideas about how to teach students to stop placing an inappropriate "-uh" sound at the end of words? For example, many of my students will say "great-uh" instead of "great" and "time-uh" instead of "time".
dadczak

Re: Linguistic Difficulties with Final Consonant Sounds

Postby Dr. Greg » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 pm

From Difficulties Faced By Chinese EFL Students:

... Chinese EFL students have significant difficultly correctly pronouncing English words that end in a final consonant sound, such as in "colleague" or "hill," as this type of phoneme rarely occurs in Mandarin. So what they will typically do is either drop the final consonant sound altogether or add a syllable to it. In the previous examples, "colleague" will often be pronounced as either "collie" or "colleague-ga" and "hill," either like "hee" or "hill-er."

The solution is to start incorporating the use of the English language in primary school, when the students are still young, as they do--for example--in other Asian countries such as the Philippines and India. I don't think that will ever happen in mainland China... not under the CCP.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

Re: Linguistic Difficulties with Final Consonant Sounds

Postby Arthur » Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 pm

I found it quite easy to correct this problem.

The first and most important step is to bring the improper pronunciation to the attention of the students; they simply do not hear the error themselves.

This is best done by an actual recording of the student. This I did using the recorder function on my cellphone (record them saying, for example, the word "work"). Then allow them to compare their improper pronunciation with the teachers correct pronunciation. Work with them until they finally are able to say the word properly.

This may take quite a few attempts, but eventually they will get it. Thereafter, one must consistently reinforce the proper pronunciation. They will often backslide but, after about a month, I've managed to get nearly all of my students consistently using the proper pronunciation (at least with respect to this one aspect of pronunciation).
Arthur

Return to Comments, Feedback, & Suggestions