• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 203 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Collapse view

Employment & Prof. Development

Physical Exam Record for Foreigners and STDs

Employment choices and professional development issues.

Physical Exam Record for Foreigners and STDs

Postby tarptent1234 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Does the medical exam for Z-visa involve a herpes or HPV test?

Will I be denied a Z-visa or fail the medical exam if I am found to have either of these diseases? The medical exam will most likely be taking place in Hong Kong.

Thanks.
tarptent1234

Re: Physical Exam Record for Foreigners and STDs

Postby Dr. Greg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 pm

The medical facility will draw two vials of blood: one will be used to test for HIV and syphilis and the other will be used to test for liver functioning and infectious hepatitis (hepatitis B and C). Herpes and human papillomavirus (HPV) are not tested for.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

Postby mikemoores » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Do you get denied if you have an STD like HSV or mycoplasma?
mikemoores

Postby Dr. Greg » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:32 pm

As stated above, Herpes (HSV) is not tested for and neither is mycoplasma genitalium, a bacterial infection that symptomatically resembles chlamydia and is entirely treatable with antibiotics.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

STD check in China

Postby blindfaith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Dr. Greg,

First of all, thanks for providing this wonderful resource for expats. I just stumbled upon it and look forward to sharing it with my expat friends and colleagues.

My friend recently complained of pain when urinating and some whitish-green stuff coming from his penis. He said it disappeared pretty quickly after self-prescribing himself with Azirthomyclin and Ceftriaxone. He said it has re-appeared now. He said he masturbated a couple times while he was taking his self-prescribed drugs.

He was too scared to get it checked at the hospital because of the risk he would run of losing his Z-Visa. Do you know anything about foreigners who become susceptible to a disease while in China and what impact it could have on their stay here?

Living in a small city, he is scared of the scrutiny of his school finding out what he has and losing his job, then dealing with deportation or finding the next job. Does medical exams stay on foreigner records here?

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1) What STD do you think my friend has?

2) What is the best self-prescribed (slash Dr Greg prescribed) medicine or antibiotic for him if he will not go see a doctor?

3) What can happen to foreigners who become susceptible to a disease while in China and what impact it could have on their stay here? Obviously this depends on the disease, but how about for gonorrhea or chlamydia?

4) How often and how long do cases of gonorrhea need to be to lead to infertility? Can you determine if someone is infertile or not without having sexual intercourse and a women becoming pregnant?

5) When undergoing treatment with antibiotics for gonorrhea or chlamydia, if you masturbate or ejaculate, will it affect the healing process?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help me so I can help a nervous friend out.
blindfaith

Postby Dr. Greg » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:07 pm

As my doctorate is not in medicine, I am not qualified to make a differential diagnosis and offer medical advice on what could be a serious condition. I strongly suggest that your friend see a medical doctor.

I am fairly certain that non-viral STDs do not constitute grounds for visa revocation and deportation, any more than a diagnosis of diabetes or hypertension would be. Bacterial and fungal STDs are extremely treatable. What the health authorities are worried about are contagious viral diseases like hepatitis and AIDS, diseases for which there are no cures.

Your friend really needs to get himself to a medical doctor as soon as possible. Anyone who tries to diagnose and treat himself for a possible venereal disease is just being foolish.
Dr. Greg
Site Admin

Return to Employment & Prof. Development