• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 203 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 am
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Collapse view

Ask Headmaster Ken

Salary Withheld for Preexisting Damage to Apartment

For private school employment, teaching contracts, salaries, visas, and other employment questions.

Salary Withheld for Preexisting Damage to Apartment

Postby monicfari » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Hello,

The agency that my school used to employ me is abusing me and trying to blackmail me with the landlord.

Since I left the apartment, the agency is holding my salary from January because the landlord wants money from the agency to fix two small areas on the walls that were damaged in the last three months from condensation on the windows and high humidity. There was always lots of mildew in the apartment but it worsened while I was living there and now they are blaming me. They want to take money form my salary and, also, the landlord is now asking me to pay for the usage of pillows and bed covers, saying that I was not allowed to use them. Thing is, no one ever informed me of this when I moved in a year ago. I am trapped, confused, sad, and being abused in that they have not paid me for my last month of work.

I would like to know where or who can I get help from please. The things they are asking me to pay for are not my fault or my problem. I am ready to leave the city soon and may be moving to another province or even country and I need my money.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
monicfari

Re: Salary Withheld for Preexisting Damage to Apartment

Postby Headmaster Ken » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Unfortunately, there is little you can do regarding such abusive practices other than negotiate.

This is the landlord's and agency's last bite at the apple and they will use any means to extract cash from you prior to your departure.

You can argue the school should have notified you about any items that were off limits, but they may well be getting a cut from the "damages" so I would not hold out much hope.

You really have little option but to try to negotiate the price down. Landlords in China feel they owe little or no service to the tenant and can expect items entirely out of the tenant's control to be paid for by the tenant. Alas, this attitude seems prevalent.

Unless you have a school that will stand behind you and vigorously negotiate on your behalf, you are going to very likely take a beating.

Our school has had huge confrontations with landlords over similar issues: We've even had to call the police. Greedy, insatiable, and unscrupulous landlords are all too common in my experience.

In the future, be sure to report every deficiency in writing to your school and ask that it be immediately repaired. It will not be, but you have a basis for negotiations when this happens again.

Those who are currently thinking about teaching English in China should read our chapters on Foreign Teacher Housing and Housing Problems.

I wish you well.
Headmaster Ken

Return to Ask Headmaster Ken